Sciatica is a set of symptoms that may be caused by general compression and/or irritation of one of five spinal nerve roots that give rise to each sciatic nerve, or by compression or irritation of the left or right or both sciatic nerves.
Causes of Sciatica
- compression of lumbar nerves or sacral nerves ,or by compression of the sciatic nerve itself
- lumbar radiculopathy
- spinal disc herniation
- spinal disc herniation
Clinically, on the basis of signs & symptoms sciatica can be easily diagnosed but its always better to have a X–ray or MRI of lumbar & sacral vertebraes done
Auxillary Treatment for Sciatica
- Weight loss reduces pressure on Spinal nerve roots
- Yoga–Stretching exercises
- Bad posture can aggravate sciatica. Taking measures to improve it.
- The most common symptom of sciatica is pain which may be– sharp,dull,shooting,burning,continuous or episodic
- The pain usually starts in gluteal region or even higher & radiates along back of thigh,lat. side of leg to dorsum of foot.
- The pain is usually due to compression & irritation of one or more nerve roots
- The cause may be osteoarthritis,lumbar disc prolapse, spondylolisthesis,neuritis,etc
- The pain is usually worse from both prolonged sitting and standing.
- Frequently, the pain is made worse by standing from a low sitting position, such as standing up after sitting on a toilet seat.
- In most people, the pain is made worse by sneezing, coughing, laughing, or a hard bowel movement.(due to additional traction to sciatic nerve)
- Bending forward can also make the pain worse.
- There may be weakness in leg or foot, along with the pain.
- The weakness may become so bad that the patient cannot move the foot.
- SLR (straight leg raising) test
- Patient in supine position
- Asked to raise one leg keeping knee straight
- Continue to raise leg till pain is experienced evidenced by watching his face
- In homoeopathy a medicine is selected on the basis of principle “ Similia Similibus Curentur “ i.e like cures like.
- A medicine is given which has the capacity of producing symptoms similar to sciatica.
- Since no two individuals are same,different medicine is required for different individuals.
- In acute cases medicine is given on the basis of type of pain,factors related to amelioration & aggravation of pain,symptoms of mind present at that time,etc.
- In chronic cases a constitutional medicine is required i.e. a medicine which covers all the mental,physical & associated sympyoms.
- Anti–miasmatic medicines are required when patient is improving a little inspite of proper selection of medicines.
- Medicines like–Rhus–Tox,Bryonia,Gnaphalium,Colocynyh,Mag–Phos, Lycopodium,Valeriana,Tellurium are useful in relieving acute symptoms of sciatica.
Dr. Vishal A. Nahar
This was a nicely concise review of the basics on sciatica and will be very good for people who are just starting out researching sciatica to read. I have not looked into homeopathy before in relation to sciatic pain but this has made me curious to find out more. I personally write about one of the other specific manifestations of sciatica pain commonly called piriformis pain and ways to relieve it. I will have to research more on homeopathy as another means of pain relief starting with this website and share that on my site.
Piriformis Pain Relief Techniques That Work