In most cases of backache, the pain is usually felt either in the middle of the back or lower down. It may spread to both sides of the waist and the hips. In a condition of acute pain, the patient is unable to move and is bedridden. Many people experience back pain as they age and their joint tissues deteriorate or shift. Psychological tension, stress, or anxiety about everyday problems can also lead to backache. In addition, back pain can result from diseases of the kidneys, heart, lungs, intestinal tract, or reproductive organs. Other causes include stress and strain resulting from sitting for a long time, improper lifting of weights, high heels, and emotional problems which may cause painful muscle cramping.
Backache caused is degenerative disease, metabolic diseases or congenital. Acute or chronic illnesses like kidney or prostate problems, female disorders, Influenza, and arthritis, may also lead to backache. It can be the result of developmental problems or a tumour. Use this list as a basis of the possible causes of back pain. Backaches occasionally stem from a congenital (present from birth) malformation. In such cases, pain generally results from the unusual stresses that the deformity imposes on surrounding muscular structures rather than from the abnormality itself. Severe back pain may also be accompanied by pain or numbness radiating down one or both legs. Though most muscular back pains disappear within a week or two of their onset, some can last one to two months. Pain may recur unless preventive measures are taken. Usually the pain is felt in the middle of the back or in the lower back. When the pain aggravates, it tends to spread to both sides of the waist and hips. When the pain becomes very acute, the patient is recommended bed rest for sometime. Most patients suffer from a problem referred to as cervical and lumbar spondylosis, in which the spine tends to lose its flexibility.
Herbal remedies cure for backache
- Use of garlic. Two or three cloves should be taken every morning to get results. An oil prepared from garlic and rubbed on the back will give great relief.
- Lemon is another useful remedy for backache.
- Raw potato is an ancient home remedy for backache, characterised by incapacitating pain in the lumbar region, especially in the lower part of the back.
- Fish oil taken daily, is the least expensive and most effective manner in which to eliminate backache, joint pain, pains in the wrists.
- Mixture of powdered sonth, sweet soda and salt if consumed with hot milk or water can alleviate your backache problems.
- While sleeping, sleep on a firm mattress. Avoid sleeping face down.
- Heat may be applied with hot water bottle or infrared lamp for temporary relief in the area.
- Drink some hot milk or water with powdered sonth, meetha soda, and namak.
- Colchicine – may help with back pain caused by a herniated disc (note: colchicine may have adverse side effects).
- Willow Bark – used when experiencing pain due to inflammation.
- Cayenne Pepper – can be applied topically to areas of pain (a counter irritant).
- Devil’s Claw – may reduce acute lower back pain.
- Ginger – used to decrease inflammation and associated back pain.
- Eucalyptus and Peppermint Oil – a combination of eucalyptus and peppermint oil applied topically to area of pain (a counter irritant).
- Turmeric – has anti–inflammatory effects with possible treatment of low back pain.