What is the scope of Self Employment Schemes?These schemes provide financial assistance to retired defence personnel for starting self-employment ventures.
What do you mean by service industry?The Service Industry consists of businesses that offer services to the public such as workshops, telephone booths and house keeping.
Why are loans not being granted for transportation ventures?Loans are not being granted for transportation ventures because of non-clearance of dues and outstanding loans against the ex-servicemen, as per government orders.
How can I apply for assistance under the Scheme?An Ex - Serviceman has to apply for this scheme through Zilla Sainik Boards and Rajya Sainik Boards to Nationalized Banks and State Financial Corporations.
Who sanctions the loans or funds?Banks, financial institutions and State Financial Corporations are responsible for providing loans or funds for starting self-employment ventures.
Does the Directorate General of Resettlement (DGR) disburse funds or loans?No, the DGR does not disburse any funds or loans. It only provides information and advice to ex servicemen for obtaining loans.
What are the provisions made in the ‘Maintenance of Parents and Senior Citizens Bill, 2007’?The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Bill, 2007’ is an initiative of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. It was introduced in the Lok Sabha on 20th March 2007. The Bill states that adult children and grandchildren who are earning members are required to maintain and take care of their parents or grandparents. Maintenance refers to the provision of proper food, clothing, housing and medical treatment.
Parents include biological, adoptive and step parents. Also, any relative of a senior citizen who is in possession of property or who stands to inherit the property of the concerned senior citizen is liable to provide maintenance. An important feature of the proposed bill is that it would provide protection not just to parents who are over the age of 60 years but also to every parent who is in need of care.
The bill proposes to set up tribunals in every district where aggrieved parents may complain about being neglected. All elders, who are unable to maintain themselves through their own earning or out of the property owned by them, shall be entitled to make an application. The tribunal will pass an order regarding the amount of maintenance to be provided. Children, grandchildren or relatives may also face a jail term, have to pay a fine or be disinherited from property bequeathed to them.
What is the age when one can avail benefits set aside for senior citizens?Different sectors have prescribed different ages for offering discounts and benefits to senior citizens
- Banks and railways provide rebates, higher interests on deposits and other facilities to people who 60 years of age and are over.
- The Income Tax Department, which comes under the purview of the Finance Ministry, classifies a person who is 65 years and above for senior citizen income tax exemptions.
- Air India offers senior citizen discounts to males who are 65 years and above and females who are 63 years and above as on the date of commencement of journey.
- The minimum age of eligibility for old age pension varies from 55 to 65 years from state to state.
- Senior Citizens Unit Planof UTI offers the benefit of medical treatment to seniors and their spouse to those who are 58 years and older. Senior Citizens Saving Scheme prescribes an age limit of 55 to 60 years as an eligibility requirement.
- Local Municipal Corporations such as that of Delhi prescribes 65 years as the age of availing benefits for senior citizens according to the DMC Act of 1957.